Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Anthology

Book Trailer:
In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell, or if Jill pushed him instead, to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. 
Two and Twenty Dark Tales is a collection of background stories of different Mother Goose nursery rhymes, such as Sing a Song of Six Pence, Little Boy Blue, There Was an Old Woman, Jack and Jill, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Some of the stories were based on rhymes I'd never even heard of, and while most were dark (deliciously so) some were actually sweet in a way, and some left me confused. Some stories I didn't have a chance to review as my eARC was incomplete; the final version for sale will have all the stories as a complete anthology.

But as a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed how the different authors came about with the rhyme's history, and overall theme and feel. While some stories I liked better than others, I did like the fact that no two stories had the same style or setting. For those who enjoy quick-hit horror or fantasy, this would be an easy gift to give - and receive.

The publisher notes this is the first book in a new series of annual anthologies for charity, where the proceeds from the first 5,000 books will be donated to their choice of charities. I'm thinking this is a win-win - an easy way for readers to help out and read deliciously dark short stories at the same time.

Book Information:

Disclosure: This eARC galley was provided by the publisher and any opinions are my own.

Comments