San Diego Used Bookstore: Footnote Books

Footnote Books - San Diego Used Book Store

When I close my eyes and think of a used bookstore, I think of books stacked up on top of each other, books piled in corners, books of super interest that I have to reach high for (and found all the way on the bottom stack on the floor), and books of such varying titles and genres that they will keep my interest as I browse from one stack to another. And all of this is found in Footnote Books.

One of my favorite places for used books. I'm a cookbook collector and each visit I can usually find something interesting to pick up. Make sure you open each book (not just cookbooks) as you may find that it is signed.

The place is small, and the multiple stacks make the space between them narrow, so sometimes you'll have to back out if someone is coming past you, or you need to squeeze at the end to let someone in. The small footprint though makes the visit much more intimate and you'll want to open all the covers of all the books because they are right there in front of you - waiting to be opened and taken home.

Pricing is inside the book, usually first page, and if it's new it will generally be 50% of the original price. Some older books are priced a bit steep, but seem right for the value and I've never made a purchase I thought was too expensive. Because of the bookseller's choosiness when bringing in books, the quality is high and the diversity is great of the books being sold. A gem of a place.

Excellent selection of nonfiction books, as well as trade paperback fiction and children's books.

Bookstore Info:

  • Name: Footnote Books
  • Address: 1627 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
  • Neighborhood: Hillcrest
  • Website: Couldn't find one, but they do have a Facebook page and a space on AbeBooks.

Enjoy,
Renee Shelton
Succotash Book Reviews
------------------------------------
Disclosure and More Info: Most books found in the reviews are purchased by me and some have been given to me by publishers or the writers themselves. Some of my large cookbook library collection can be found on The Library Thing, which is a constant work in progress to categorize all my books. All reviews are independent and opinions my own. Any advertising helps support this site. :) Thanks for reading!

Comments